[Sca-cooks] 'Tis the Season (for produce, not sillies)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 12:35:44 PDT 2006

Christianna writes:
> Gas prices and post-Katrina impacts have made food prices here very
> high.  More and more it becomes a Really Good Idea to buy locally and
> seasonally.  We are now at the peak of summer produce, and we've talked
> here recently about what is local for Georgia right now.
>
> What about those of you staying home - what is local, seasonal, and
> cheap where you are right now?  It is a much more medieval concept than
> living one place and producing a meal that would have been eaten
> somewhere else.
Very true, and I try to buy local whenever possible.  In Southern
California, this is not actually a hardship.  <smile>  Stone fruit and
berries are plentiful right now.  Today, I am pulling little red-gold
plums off the trees in my parents' back yard to put into box lunches for
a tourney this weekend and to make plum sauce to freeze for the rest of
the year.  OK so it won't be as bright red as the stuff in the local
Chinese fast food joint but it will be sooo good on the won-tons.  And
two-tons.  And 16-tons, whaddya get?  Another day older and deeper in...
plum goo.

Selene