[Sca-cooks] Alfredo

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 8 08:32:04 PDT 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:17 AM, <tom.vincent at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't you want to use white pepper so it's consistent with the
> color scheme?  I do that with mac & cheese.
>
> Duriel
> (thinking Alfredo sauce should come with an complementary angioplasty)

That's typical of classical French cookery, certainly, but not
_necessarily_ the effect they're going for. It's an aesthetic
judgement call, not only for the flavor considerations, but the
effect of the pure white versus the slightly speckled. I don't mind
that somewhat rustic look, myself; in fact I prefer it.

However, for those who don't, white pepper is certainly a good option.

Adamantius, thinking Alfredo should be a very thin coating on a
moderate-sized portion of very good, eggy pasta, and eaten probably
no more than twice a year...