[Sca-cooks] Alfredo

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Tue Aug 8 21:13:06 PDT 2006

> On Aug 7, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Lady Orla Carey wrote:
>

>> Granted it's been a couple of years since I've actually made it but
>> IIRC,
>> butter, heavy cream and Parmigiano.
>>
>> Orla
>>

> Okay, that's about what I expected. I've heard alarming references to
> things like egg yolks being involved, occasionally.
>
> At least heavy cream would serve as something of a stabilizer, so you
> could keep it warm without constant fear of the stuff breaking, and
> there's little or nothing in heavy cream that isn't also in unsalted
> butter. Even so, I might not add the cheese until service...
>
> Adamantius

As I learned to make it at Bambinelli's, a New York style pizzeria less
than 2 miles from my house here in Atlanta:

1 dozen egg yolks
1 qt. heavy whipping cream
Parmesan cheese (qty unknown)
butter (qty unknown)

Sal might have used 2 qts. heavy whipping cream instead of just 1.  And
I never measured how much Parmesan he used, as he usually just dumped it
in the saucepan after the cream and eggs were in, bringing it up to the
volume of the saucepan.  If I remember correctly, the saucepan was
around 6 to 8 quarts.  The butter, I think, was about a pound, but it's
been 20 years since I worked there.

Alfredo was prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge in the
saucepan it was cooked in.  It would congeal so that a spoon would stand
up in it.  When needed, Sal would spoon out what he needed in a small
teflon-coated skillet on the cooktop, heat it up then drop the hot
fettucine noodles into the pan to toss with the sauce, then plate.
Occasionally, bacon crumbles would be tossed in as the sauce was reheating.

--Cian