[Sca-cooks] s'mores?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 30 05:11:00 PDT 2006

Margaret Rendell wrote:
> I'm hoping that my questions are because I'm Australian, and not just
> that I'm clueless, but I don't really understand this thread at
> all...can someone help?
>
> Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>
>> I make a really good sweet potato souffle.  I brought it once when I first
>> joined the SCA to a pot luck.  I put it in the veggie area when I arrived.
>> I looked later and found it with the desserts.  So I moved it back to the veggies.
>> I later saw someone moving it back to the desserts, upon which I told them that
>> is was sweet potato, not pumpkin.
>>

> 1) why would this make a difference?

For potlucks here in the states (contributed dinners where everyone
brings a dish)
the tables are usually organized by type of course. Meats, vegies,
salads, desserts on
separate tables. Huette obviously intended her dish to be a vegie sort
of baked
sweet potato dish which was topped with a baked marshmallow topping.
But everyone at these dinners is subject to having their dish moved
around by someone
else who says "oh that ought to be over there."

You can make variations of the same sort of orange dish with a number of
foods--
yams and/or sweet potatoes are seen as vegies. Squash would be a vegie-- but
pumpkin ones are seen as being dessert dishes.
>> As much as I like marshmallows, I hate marshmallows on sweet potatoes...
>>
> 2) is this a joke I haven't heard?

We have a tradition in this country of serving a sweet potato casserole
hot dish
that can be topped with marshmallows. It shows up on holiday tables at
Thanksgiving
and Christmas. Recipes vary but it tends to be a mashed sweet potato
dish that is sweetened
and then baked-- often with a topping of marshmallows. It can be very sweet!

To make it more confusing sweet potatoes in certain areas are also called
yams even though they aren't a true yam AND even more confusing some
people actually
make the dish with real yams! Some people used canned ingredients-- some
use fresh.
See
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel186169&contentGroup=EDF&layout=edf
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-00,canned_sweet_potatoe_and_marshmallows_casserole,FF.html

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/vegetables/sweetpotato.html
http://www.cayam.com/
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/communications/leads/Crops_Livestock/Prime+Time+for+Sweet+Potatoes.htm

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/FCSprograms/Nutrition%20SR/SweetPotatoes.htm
> 3) what are s'mores? I gather they involve graham crackers, marshmallow
> and chocolate, but I'm finding it hard to envisage

They are a campfire dessert that migrated into popular culture. First
appearance was in a Girl Scout guide.
Think of them as a roasted marshmallow with pieces of sweet chocolate
between two sweet flat biscuits.
We call biscuits cookies of course.
Here's a history of S'Mores--
http://www.geocities.com/suarezgfam/SmoresHistory.html

> 3a) what are graham crackers? A savoury biscuit of some sort?

Graham crackers are one of those 19th century inventions by a Dr.
*Sylvester* Graham.
He invented *Graham Crackers* in 1829.
Graham was a Presbyterian minister and avid vegetarian, who promoted the
use of
unsifted and coarsely ground wheat flour for its high fiber content.
The flour was nicknamed "graham flour" after Minister Graham, the main
ingredient in Graham Crackers.
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blgraham.htm
http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/productsandbrands/ProductSpecific.htm?option=product&id=1360
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_Graham