[Sca-cooks] s'mores?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 03:13:40 PDT 2006

--- Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:

> Huette obviously intended her dish to be a vegie sort
> of baked sweet potato dish which was topped with a baked marshmallow topping.

No!  I would never do that!  I dislike marshmallows on sweet potatos!  It was a
souffle, not a travesty!

This was/is my recipe:

Sweet Potato Souffle

3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/3 cup dry sherry
1 1/2 cups half and half
6 tbsp. butter, melted
3 tsp. orange zest
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 cup shelled pecans, chopped
6 eggs, separated

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Butter a 2 quart souffle dish. Prepare a Bain Marie by placing the buttered souffle dish in a
baking pan, filled with warm water. Baking the souffle this way helps it to rise and cook
evenly.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingreadients except eggs and pecans and beat until smooth.
Beat in egg yolks. Fold in pecans.  Set aside.

In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but still moist. Gently fold egg whites
into the sweet potato mixture and pour into the souffle dish. Bake for about 45 minutes or until
light golden brown on top. Serve immediately.

See!  No marshmallows!!! Yeck!!

Huette