[Sca-cooks] Ableskievers

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Dec 3 22:38:01 PST 2006

>OK ... the first shock ... there is a male out there who thinks I might be
>intersting
>
>that done ... he was referring to a type of bread that his mother made ...
>called Ableskievers
>
>evidently, there is a special pan to make them ...
>
>does anybody else know what the heck Ableskievers is?  I am clueless.

I've seen it spelled Aebleskiver, Ebleskiver, Aebeleskiver, or
Ebelskiver.  They are more like a ball shaped pancake or waffle than
bread and are made in a pan with little holes to cook them in.  Mine
is cast iron, but I've seen aluminum ones. You make up the batter,
heat the pan and oil it a bit, fill each hole and cook on one side,
then use a knitting needle to flip them to cook on the other side.
They are traditional for Advent, which started today.

Ranvaig

Here are a few links to start with.. google had lots of hits on
various spellings
http://flickr.com/photos/skovbo/260924897/
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Aebleskiver
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=ebleskiver