[Sca-cooks] Parchment and Fruit Paste...

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 04:06:55 PST 2006

Specifically, parchement paper for baking is impregnated with silicone, and
rated for use in the oven up to 420 F.  Silicone gives it its heat
resistance and its "nonstick" properties.  While certainly not period, *g*
it did fit the criteria requested for a simple, nonplastic surface on which
to pour out or store fruit pastes.

Sorry, Stefan.  I had though you were advocating pouring the liquid
incipient paste onto wax paper. Apparently I'm the only one dim enough to
have actually done this.  ;-)  It went badly.  Storage in waxed paper ought
to be fine.  Though I have piled cut slices in tupperware and store them for
months - no real sticking problems.  I do sugar the top and bottom of my
pastes when I pour them out, though.

I do find the whole trick is to allow the paste to cool in the pot just
until it's cool enough that when you pour it out onto a sugared surface it
flows onto the surface and doesn't melt the sugar.   But it sort of one of
those "you know it when you see it" points that is hard to describe - since
I didn't take it's temperature I can't be more specific.  But I've gotten
consistent enough at hitting this point that I just sugar the bottom of a
jelly roll pan and leave it at that.

Femke