[Sca-cooks] A Turkey Success (a bit late, but whatever)

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 4 15:51:26 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
Gunthar
>found an article in the Vail News where a team tested several methods of
turkey
>roasting,

Actually it was a link from this discussion board. Sorry, I don't have the
link anymore. > > > >

Cook's Illustrated did an article in this latest issue, or the one before,
regarding salting the turkey as opposed to brining.  They had magnificent
results, and recommend it for those without time or space for brining.

>flipping the bird after the first roasting

Nope. Just that I think investing in those big turkey turner forks sounds
worthwhile.

The salted turkey was definately the way to go. No mess with a brining
container, no brined water or worries about anything getting knocked over or
whatnot.
It's very simple and clean with taste and texture as good, if not better,
than a brined bird. I'm ready to try this method out on pork loin or
chicken. < < < < <

Jus use some hot pads, like those silicon rubber ones.  They work as regular
hot pads, too.  Grab the birdie by its sides and wonk it over.  Even using
regular cloth mits, you can wash them when done (be sure they're clean,
though).

niccolo difrancesco