[Sca-cooks] Ableskievers - the attempt

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:13:15 PST 2006

I got a non-stick Nordicware pan on Saturday

This morning for breakfast, I constructed:

Filling:

2 apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/4 in chunks boiled in 2 C water
with 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, ¼ tsp each ginger, clove, allspice and
cardamom and boiled until soft.

Drained all but ¼ C of the liquid (added splenda and drank the rest of the
liquid so as not to waste)

Added ¼ c flour, 2 tbs butter and cooked until thickened. (this is what I
would use for apple pie, only it was cut smaller and cooked in a sauce pan.
One of the voices in my head rebelled but was quickly quashed by the rest)

For the batter

Sifted together:  2 C Flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tbs sugar,, ½ tsp each
salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ¼ tsp each ginger, allspice and cardamom.

In a separate bowl, mixed together:  2 C milk, 3 egg yolks, 3 Tbs cooking
oil

Stirred the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients

Whipped the 3 egg whites to soft-peak stage and folded them into the batter

(this is my standard waffle batter)

THEN

Sprayed the Ebleskiever pan with some cooking spray

Set over medium flame

Using the ice cream scoop I tipped the little divots ¾ full with the waffle
batter

Slipped half a teaspoon of the apple mixture into the center of the rising
batter

Used chop-sticks to turn them over

Cooked them some more

Re-positioned the little dears so that the ‘third side’ got cooked too (I
have never managed to turn anything all-of-a-once)

Set the plate full of warm Ebleskievers on the table with butter, sugar,
syrup, and jam.

Called the kids to the table

They did not bother with the jam or the sugar, but ate them with butter and
syrup as fast as I could make them.

The above made 42 Ebleskievers, half of which the kids ate and the other
half were dropped off at Joel’s place on my way to work.  An accident on the
interstate took enough of my morning that I was unable to take breakfast
with him, but I suspect the remaining 21 were eaten either for his breakfast
or his lunch.

The young critics told me there was not enough cinnamon and not enough of
that other funny spice mom uses but nobody else does (cardamom) and too much
nutmeg.  They would like to see this dish make another appearance.  Next
tiem, we may try fresh banana or strawberry slices.

The report is not yet in on the expert review.

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Never knock on death's door........ Ring the doorbell and run. He hates
that.