[Sca-cooks] Ableskievers

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 6 06:00:53 PST 2006

>Everyone else, I'm still waiting for the Old Family Recipes...Selene

While these aren't "old family recipes," they are from a couple of
cookbooks I bought in Copenhagen a good many years ago.

Danish Home Baking: Traditional Danish Recipes compiled by Kaj Viktor and
Kirsten Hansen, edited by Karen Berg (Copenhagen: Andr. Fred. Ho/st & Son,
1957, 1965)

88. Doughnuts (Aebleskiver)
3.5 c flour
4 eggs
0.25 c shugar
3 c milk
0.25 c butter
2 oz. yeast
a little crushed cardamom
grated rind of 1 lemon
0.5 tsp salt

In Denmark we call our doughnuts "Apple Slices", possibly because we think
the best way to eat them is to slice them open and fill them with apple
jam.  To make them you require a special frying pan with 6 to 8 round
indentations (see photo opposite title page).

Cream yolks and sugar until white.  In another bowl, mix flour and
milk.  Add in the creamed yolks and sugar, thereafter melted butter, grated
lemon rind, cardamom, and salt.  Finally add in the yeast, previously
dissolved in a little warm milk.  Mix the lot well and fold in the stiffly
beaten egg whites.  Set aside to rise for about 1 hour.  Pour the batter
into a jug.  Put a little butter in each indentation and then pour in a
little of the batter.  They form into semi-spherical "shells", browned
underneath, whereupon you turn them upside down with a knitting needle and
brown the other side, so that they close into hollow balls.  Serve hot with
sugar and jam to taste.

[no indication of *how* they cook - it appears to be stove-top, as no oven
or oven temperature is mentioned]

88 Danish Dishes, Hetna Dedichen (Copenhagen: Andr. Fred. Ho/st & Son, 1962)

Doughnuts - Aebleskiver
For six persons use 0.5 lb. flour, 1 pint milk, 2 yolks of egg, a little
sugar and salt, a little grated lemon-peel, cardamom and 0.5 teaspoonful of
salt of hartshorn.  All this is well mixed and stirred.  Finally the whites
are beaten to a stiff froth and added.  The pan is heated and melted butter
poured into the holes, which are then half-filled with the batter.  When
the doughnuts are baked on one side, put in a slice of boiled apple, then
turn them quickly and bake on the other side.  The doughnuts are served
very hot and should preferably be eaten as soon as they are done.  At table
they are sprinkled with sugar by each person according to taste.

Sandra