[Sca-cooks] Ok Now I KNOW THIS but for the life can't

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 14 06:31:47 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
are
period very late, but bustards were eaten almost into extinction during the
Middle Ages. IIRC, bustards were pretty much Europe's turkey-type native
bird, and the Europeans took to the turkey rather quickly becasue it
resembled something they already ate.  < < < < <

Definitely a choice that makes life simpler, and is in line with what people
need . . . a nudge in the right direction.  It is also a chance to offer
those who want it a little more valid information on how our current foods
compare to those in the 1400 to 1600 time period.  I don't claim veryone
should jump on the turkey education bandwagon, or that anyone who labels it
bustard (which is reputed to be quite more tough) is evil.  I just have fun
personally sharing real knowledge and information as far as I know it at the
time.  You know, stamping out the myths and misperceptions without
intentionally creating any bad ones.

Yeah, most people don't want an education with their turkey.  Gotta play to
my audience and know how far I can go with this sort of thing.  I'm even
starting to spend some time hunting a source for "heritage breeds" that were
around at least before the mass-production rage that gives us the
double-breasted ones we have today.

niccolo difrancesco
(tell 'em it's a turkey in a modern, domesticated form . . . a more tender,
non-related alternative to bustard)