[Sca-cooks] barley meal

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 15 17:30:51 PST 2006

I was going to make some Welsh barley bread for our baronial Yule
Revel pot luck tomorrow.

The recipe called for 1 1/2 pounds of barley meal. Unfortunately my
grocery had lots of flours and meals including oats, but no barley
meal. They did have Quaker Medium Pearled Barley and I figured I
could grind that to a meal using my Kitchenaid food processor.

However, after much grinding, spinning noises and the barley heating
up, all I've gotten is a faction of a cup of fine barley flour and a
cup and a half of dusty barley kernels.

So what does the "Pearled" mean?

Is the food processor just the wrong machine for grinding up this
barley? Or is there some way to do it other than simply dumping in
the barley (I've tried both large and small batches) and turning it on?

I was also planning on making some baked apple cake/frittour type
things, so for now I've abandoned the barley bread idea and I'll just
go with them. Now to go chop up the apples "really small - almost but
not quite as fine as grated".

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas