[Sca-cooks] barley meal

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 17:58:09 PST 2006

>The recipe called for 1 1/2 pounds of barley meal. Unfortunately my
>grocery had lots of flours and meals including oats, but no barley
>meal. They did have Quaker Medium Pearled Barley and I figured I
>could grind that to a meal using my Kitchenaid food processor.
>
>However, after much grinding, spinning noises and the barley heating
>up, all I've gotten is a faction of a cup of fine barley flour and a
>cup and a half of dusty barley kernels.
>
>So what does the "Pearled" mean?
>
>Is the food processor just the wrong machine for grinding up this
>barley? Or is there some way to do it other than simply dumping in
>the barley (I've tried both large and small batches) and turning it on?

Pearled barley has most of the bran removed, as opposed to hulled barley,
which has only the husk removed.

Food processors probably aren't the best choice for grinding such a hard
grain.  Even the infamous Vitamix has trouble (yes, I know it's a souped up
blender, but the physics applies).

If you're a little patient, you'll probably have better luck with a coffee
grinder.

Femke