[Sca-cooks] barley meal

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 15 20:00:20 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
> > >  > The recipe called for 1 1/2 pounds of barley meal. Unfortunately my
> grocery had lots of flours and meals including oats, but no barley
> meal. They did have Quaker Medium Pearled Barley and I figured I
> could grind that to a meal using my Kitchenaid food processor.
>
> However, after much grinding, spinning noises and the barley heating
> up, all I've gotten is a faction of a cup of fine barley flour and a
> cup and a half of dusty barley kernels. <<SNIP>>< < < < <

You'll find it best using either a whirling blade or knurled rollers to make
you barley meal.  The coffe mill is one style, and a grist mill like a
Corona corn mill or the honking big coffee grinders at the grocery store in
the coffee isle that will grind 2 or 3 lbs at a time.  I have one of those,
and it drives through the grains without so much as a groan, even on
'espresso' setting.  Takes about 35 seconds to do a whole pound of rice or
wheat.

The grocery would probably not even mind your using theirs, but put about 2
lbs of rice through first (and send it through twice . . . once on coarsest,
once on finest) it tends to  absorbe the coffee oils and clean out the
grinding works.  Then send your barley through.  I've asked before, and the
employee on the aisle had not problem.  Though they probably had no real
clue what I was talking abgout :o)  Now I own my own used one.

niccolo difrancesco
(mows through 2 lbs of cassia in NO time)