[Sca-cooks] preventing apple oxidation

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 18 07:56:10 PST 2006

Kiri-sensei wrote:
> I don't know about all of them...I do happen to have a Coke product and a
> Pepsi product here at home, and they both use aspartame.   and they do have
> phosphoric acid in them.  However, Coke specifically makes a diet drink that
> uses Splenda...but, for whatever reason, I don't like the taste as much as I
> do the regular diet coke!  I also have some soda made by Jones...and these
> contain sucralose, which I believe is Splenda.

Coke offers a Splenda-sweetened version of Diet Coke.  I have a can of
it in front of me RIGHT NOW and the ingredients list reads:
Carbonated water, caramel color, natural flavors, phosphoric acid,
potassium benzoate (to protect taste), sucralose, acesulfame potassium,
caffeine, citric acid.

Other brands using Splenda include:  Diet Hansen's, Diet Rite and
Boylan's.  That last is a lesser-known but excellent maker of Root Beer,
Birch Beer and that sort of thing with cane sugar in the non-diet
versions.  BevMo carries them in my part of the world [Caid].

>> then Ranvaig wrote:
>>
>>> Please don't use nutrasweet at a feast without labeling. It would
>>> make me extremely ill, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm on that list.  I thought I was getting honest arthritis, until I was
challenged to knock off the Diet Cokes for a week.  Whew, what a
difference!  This is not one of the more widespread side effects but it
is on the list.

>>> Perhaps try carbonated mineral water with no sweetener. I'd presume
>>> it is the phosphoric acid that stops the apples from turning brown,
>>> not the lemon flavor.

It's worth a try.  But if you are going to use this for a browning
preventative, why not use a flavor that would add something to your
apple dish?  Lemon-lime might be nice after all but there's more out
there.  Root beer might add an interesting /zetz/ to a spicy dish in the
holiday line, for instance.  OK, I have sweet spices on my mind, I'm
still working through this year's Bucket O'Mincemeat [tm].

Selene