[Sca-cooks] preventing apple oxidation

Carol Smith eskesmith at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 18 17:34:36 PST 2006

I was under the impression that it is ascorbic acid which was the
antioxidant in lemon juice, which is why I sprinkle it over apples to keep
them from changing color.  Besides, I like the fresh fruit flavor of real
lemon in my apple pie.
The most commonly used acidulant in most sodas, including ginger ale, is
citric acid.  Pghosphoric Acid is used only in colas and somilar beverages,
such as Moxie and Dr. Pepper.
Some soda, notably cream soda and root beer, have only enough acid to
activate the preservatives because too much acid destroys the flavor.

Regards,
Brekke