[Sca-cooks] artificial sweeteners (was Re: preventing apple oxidation)

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 10:07:42 PST 2006

On 12/18/06, Cat Dancer <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Susan Fox wrote:
>
> Since we're on the subject, what are people's feelings about using
> artificial sweeteners in period cookery? I feel that while I may use sugar
> substitutes in some of my own cooking, if I am cooking food that will be
> consumed by others I won't use them. The exception to this is if I am
> making something specifically for someone who has a known medical issue
> and cannot eat sugar, but in that case I'll make the food separately and
> it won't go out to the feast at-large.
>
> As I write this, there is a little voice in my head spluttering
> indignantly about artificial sweeteners ruining the humoral balance of the
> dish and how detrimental that could be to the health of the feasters.
> YKYITSCAW.... ;-)
>
> Margaret FitzWilliam

I generally don't use artifical sweeteners in period cooking.  However, as I
am diabetic and, I guess, have sympathies for those in the same boat, I will
make a small portion of things requiring sugar using Splenda...if I know
that it doesn't affect taste, texture, etc.  This will be served to any who
have identified themselves as being sensitive to sugar.  Yes, I know it's
not period...but it makes it so that all of us can enjoy the food at a
feast, or at least a little more of it.

Kiri