[Sca-cooks] artificial sweeteners (was Re: preventing apple oxidation)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 18 08:32:48 PST 2006

Margaret FitzWilliam wrote:
> Since we're on the subject, what are people's feelings about using
> artificial sweeteners in period cookery? I feel that while I may use sugar
> substitutes in some of my own cooking, if I am cooking food that will be
> consumed by others I won't use them. The exception to this is if I am
> making something specifically for someone who has a known medical issue
> and cannot eat sugar, but in that case I'll make the food separately and
> it won't go out to the feast at-large.
>
> As I write this, there is a little voice in my head spluttering
> indignantly about artificial sweeteners ruining the humoral balance of the
> dish and how detrimental that could be to the health of the feasters.
> YKYITSCAW.... ;-)

Hoo boy, I WILL not do that.  Period.  [Pun intended.]  I'm a hardass
about sweeteners, since it is so darned easy to get it RIGHT.  I have an
ongoing quibble with some senior members of the local Brewing Guild who
insist that corn syrup tastes better, and I insist that it has not been
invented yet so I won't use it.

If someone has known medical issues and cannot eat sugar, they're not
going to touch the Christmas Pie anyway.  I try to offer enough of a
variety of good foods in every course that nobody goes hungry, whatever
their dietary issues.  In the long run, I do not find that making
different versions of the same dish to be an efficient use of
resources.  Exceptions made for the ruling nobility or guest of honor,
of course, usually, if the situation really demands.

My opinion, Your Mileage May Vary, etc.
Selene