[Sca-cooks] OOP - homeless

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 09:46:29 PST 2006

Wyoming has few "Homeless".  Being a major train hub, we do have our share
of train-grabbers and an occasional transient.  Nine months out of the year,
the weather is not conducive to living rough out-of-doors.

When I had a business, I routinely would use the labors of those who would
"fly a sign".  You know the type ... sit n the corner with a cardboard sheet
upon which they have written "will work for food".  When I was in need of
day-labor, if there was an individual flying a sign, I would ask if they
were serious.  They were uniformly honest about it.  If they were just
looking for the hand out ... they would say so.  If they were looking for
the hand up ... I put them to work.

The results were mixed.  Some hung around and worked until they got paid,
and then moved on.  Some came back for a week or two of work when they
needed it, or when the train they were riding was passing through.  Some
moved on to get regular jobs.  A few of them still stop by the house to
visit ... talk about how life is going, etc.  There have been a very very
very very few who abused the situation and were told to move on.

I have been known, on occasion, to take in a person who just looked like
they needed a hand.  I can usually provide food, warm shelter, a chance to
wash the clothes they have, give them warm clothes they don’t have, and a
ride to the nearest intersection in their life’s crossroad.

The pub for whom I play league billiards has our own hard luck case.  We
take turns making sure he has a meal or two regular, and a warm bed on the
cold nights.  In exchange, he does odd-jobs and handy-work.  He will not
stay or eat unless you have work for him to do, so I have, on occasion, had
him do stuff I could just as easily do myself.

Is this condoning his behavior?

sure

Is it morally right?

That is a slippery slope that I would not choose to tread on an open list.

tupence only

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Never knock on death's door........ Ring the doorbell and run. He hates
that.