[Sca-cooks] Candied Orange Peel

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 21 09:57:44 PST 2006

Martha Oser wrote:
> Pre-Holiday Greetings, All!
>
> I have received a lovely package of fruit through the mail from my parents
> and the oranges are so bright and beautiful, I can't help thinking of
> candying the peels as a treat.
>
> I have some tiny cookie cutters (say 1/2 to 3/8 inch across) and I was
> thinking of cutting the peel into shapes for decorative purposes.  Is this
> best done before or during or after the boiling process?

Good question!  And frugal too. You could do either.  I would probably
do it before, even though they may not all hold up without tearing,
because once they are dry and hard it might be Very Difficult to get the
cutter through this medium-hard-ball sugar stuff.

You give me ideas involving some Japanese flower-shaped cutters I've had
kicking around for a while. Yum.

Happy days,
Selene