[Sca-cooks] Candied Orange Peel

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 21 17:14:48 PST 2006

Helena asked:

<<< I have received a lovely package of fruit through the mail from
my parents
and the oranges are so bright and beautiful, I can't help thinking of
candying the peels as a treat.

I have some tiny cookie cutters (say 1/2 to 3/8 inch across) and I was
thinking of cutting the peel into shapes for decorative purposes.  Is
this
best done before or during or after the boiling process? >>>

Before. Either way I don't think this is going to be easy. As someone
else mentioned one of the important things is going to be getting as
much of the pith (the white fuzzy stuff) off as possible. I'm not
sure if boiling the peel first will help get off the pith or make it
more difficult.

It will be like cutting thin leather. I'm not sure how evenly the
cutters will work. Strips are often down because they can be skimmed
off with a peeler. You might do best by clearing the pith off of some
inch by inch or larger pieces and then cutting the final shapes out
of this with some kitchen scissors. It sounds like these would make
great decorations on cookies or cakes. And since if you keep them dry
they will last a long time, you don't have to use them immediately.

For more info on candied peels in general, although probably not this
question, although there may be some info on peeling and cleaning the
peels, see these files:

candied-peels-art (16K)  3/21/06    "Candied Fruit Peel" by Dame Alys
Katharine.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-art.html
candied-peels-msg (52K)  6/19/04    Candied fruit peels. A late
period treat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-msg.html

Stefan
--------