[Sca-cooks] Candied Orange Peel

silverr0se at aol.com silverr0se at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 11:10:46 PST 2006

Stefan wrote:

>As someone else mentioned one of the important things is going
>to be getting as much of the pith (the white fuzzy stuff) off as
>possible. I'm not sure if boiling the peel first will help get off the
>pith or make it more difficult.
I always remove the pith before boiling the peel. I use a small paring knife and, firmly holding the peel onto a cutting board pith-side down, run the blade thru between the pith and the good part. Kind of like filleting a fish, only smaller and smells better.

If you wait until after boiling the peel becomes really too soft to work with without mangling. Also you have to wait for the peel to cool down enuf for it to be handled.

Grapefruit peel should be boiled at least twice (3X is better) orange peel once and lemon peel does not have to be boiled at all if the stripes are wide enuf. If you are doing lemon in fine strips they will actaully burn in the syrup and so should be boiled once.

Renata