[Sca-cooks] OOP(?): Fragrant Candle Cookies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 02:05:36 PST 2006

Liz xommented:
  <<< My "being Thai" comment had more to do with the region, not the
country.
Thailand is in a region that was bordered by two very dominant
cultures.  The Mongol/Chinese and the Muslim/Arabic. >>>

Oh. I would have expected that region to be further west. I guess it
was actually a curving line sweeping west to east across southern
Asia, so Thailand was just one of several such regions.

<<< Cuisine is one of those things in daily life that is easily adapted
changed
or influenced by the happenings of the world around.  New conquests
(or  even
marriage alliances) would bring new ingredients, tools, and methods of
preparation that would be easily integrated into the current cuisine
of a  region.
This was the basis of a recent class I taught on the Arabic
influences on regional cuisine throughout Europe. >>>

Did you create a handout for this class? Or have you written, or
would you be willing to write an article on this for the Florilegium?

<<< Liz
(still loving the period sources for spiced lemonade and funnel
cakes) >>>

Perhaps some of the info in this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of
the Florilegium might be of interest to you:
fried-breads-msg  (22K)  9/12/06    Period fried breads. Funnel
cakes, donuts.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas