[Sca-cooks] Half an outcast!

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 16:25:03 PST 2006

Elise Fleming thank you so much for this address: www.sca.org I had no
idea how big your organization is or what it is all about. I ran across
Stefan somewhere on internet with my queries like Charles Perry and
others. Stefan put me on to your empire and although Stefan and his
lovely wife we met at one point during a sojourn of mine near Austin
until now I have been quite in the dark about it except that Stefan told
me he goes somewhere in PA to meet with you guys but remained a little
vague about all your work.
	Although I know and appreciate what it means to take on a hobby like
SCA, my message was in jest. Actually my only claim to 'lordhship' is my
father's surname 'Lord'  which is derived from the Anglo-Saxon 'Ored,'
meaning governor, with the prefix L' or Le, donating
the person or place. The Gaelic ar, ord means high, lofty, the prime
chief superior. This has become a family joke as none of us presume to
anything but serfs of life. From the family coat of arms it is deducted
that the head of the Lord family traveling with Thomas Hooker to found
Hartford in 1636 and later New Haven was the second son of an English
baron, i.e. the 17th Century version of a hippy as his older brother
inherited the family estates in Oxford and he had nothing better to do.
	Disregarding British laws on women's claims to heraldry my family kids
me about being a citizen of the European Community thinking that perhaps
the barony is vacant and I have some right to claim it. No way! for
Rattkitten is right the majority of European titles today mean less than
those you have for as she points out you "have to earn your nobility" in
SCA.
various SCA kingdoms we all know those in the Far East are not
between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans. South America, where I
happen to have a home, is but looking at the countries represented in
SCA it does seem that English speaking residents are chapter heads. I
therefore say in jest living where I do in American I am 'half an
outcast' for there as no SCA baron governing the land where I live half
the year.
    Phil Troy asks "Don't the Magi come there?" Yes, in Iberia where you
have seem to have a baron. It is ironic. The three kings stand on street
corners and parade through congested streets until the 5th of January
before climbing balconies to fill our shoes with almond based candies
etc if good, coal if bad. It is odd for they freeze to death in winter
weather wearing silk robes while in Chile 'Old Man Christmas' melts in
the summer heat dressed in the traditional Santa Claus suit. By
Christmas week his beard is gray with sweet and grim. On the 24th of
December he climbs through windows, no snow required, to place his
goodies in our stockings.
    In Phil Troy's message "So, here's an odd question..." he asks "what
do people leave out for St. Nick?" suggesting milk or cocoa and cookies
are something of the past. My Three Kings receive fine red wine and a
plate of turron. Although they shall receive theirs once again this
holiday season they have already given me a gift far grander than
anything Wall Mart offers which is human love.
    Seriously my Christmas has not been ruined at all as I was joking.
Thanks to the care of my three Kings since July when I became crippled
they have spent all these months taking me to doctors and holding my
hand throughout analysis, surgery and therapy. They helped me to learn
to walk again and to climb and descend stairs step by step, day by day.
Slowly I have been able resume my obligations which they took over when
bedridden for more than three months. They have miraculously helped me
come out of my depression, helped me to laugh with them again and given
me energy and inspiration to resume my work, read your messages with
enthusiasm and sometimes reply. What more can one ask for Christmas?
May your Christmas be as blessed,
Susan