[Sca-cooks] Variable St. Nick?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 28 11:21:10 PST 2006

On Dec 28, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Lawrence Bayne wrote:

> My personal image of Santa Claus is a combination of
> several "santas" that I grew up with. Born in 1960 I
> was inundated by the "jolly fat guy in red" but the
> santa I connected with more was the "SinterKlass" that
> my grandparents described to me. Black Pete was also
> part of my holiday imagery.

I kind of figured Black Peter had something to do with the various
[sometimes uneasy] alliances between Flanders/Holland and Spain...

> It wasn't until just a few years ago that I was able
> to meld the images from my past and those of the
> future to come up with MY PERSONAL St. Nick.

I, too, have a rather individualist view of the old gent, but he's
not much like me. I actually still have rather traumatic memories of
subbing, at age 18 or so, for a department store Santa who had come
down with the flu or some such... but then again, there are probably
some people on shrink's couches as we speak, telling of their
traumatic experiences with an evil Macy*s Santa back in 1980 or so...

Adamantius ("I _hate_ the smell of tapioca...")