[Sca-cooks] rommegrot?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Dec 29 06:30:01 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 6:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] rommegrot?

> On Dec 29, 2006, at 2:40 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> > Maire commented:
> > <<< Hi, Malkin...I dug through my cookbook shelves, and came up with
> > exactly one recipe for lefse.  It doesn't give any quantities,
> >
> > Now, if you'd needed recipes for rommegrot...those, I have.  ;o)  >>>
> >
> > Another unknown/unusual item? What's "rommegrot"?
>
> I'm pretty sure we've talked about it here before. IIRC, it's a warm
> junket/pudding made from sour cream thickened and stabilized with
> flour. Another Scandinavian Christmas dish... you serve it with
> berries and sugar sprinkled on top, as I recall.
>
> Adamantius

I don't know if we have, at least not for a while.  It's a traditional
porridge, according to the recipes I consulted when wanting to make it for a
friend.  Usually made with some sort of very rich milk product and flour,
and often simmered for a long time until it achieves the proper consistency.
I found all kinds of instructions on simmering it until the butter separates
out, etc.  I played with a couple of different recipes, choosing the more
accessible ones, this summer, and I must say, I don't really know what the
fuss is all about.  My friend was ecstatic, since it was for her birthday.
Must just be one of those things.  ('Course, I'm not overly fond of lefse,
either, so maybe I lack the proper genetic background.)  The sour cream
version had a nice tang to it, but the straight-cream version was deemed
just a bit better.  They both reminded me very much of really, really smooth
cream of wheat.
I'm appending the three recipes I saved, below.
--Maire

Rommegrot

1 pt. thick whipping cream
1/2 c. flour
1 c. boiling milk
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Boil cream for 20 minutes. Add flour. Continue stirring until butter
separates from cream. Drain off butter. Add boiled, hot milk gradually,
stirring to keep smooth. Cook another 10 minutes. Add salt and sugar. Serve
warm in bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and butter.

>From the Fruits of the Spirit (1875-2000) Kensington Covenant Church
Cookbook.

Title: Rommegrot--Norwegian Christmas Pudding
Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients

      2 pt sour cream, preferably the
           -richest; (with the highest fat content?)
     11-12 tbsp. all-purpose flour
           -to thicken
    2-3 c  hot milk
           1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
      1    tsp. sugar or to taste

Instructions

Garnishes:

1 x melted butter
1 x sugar
1 x ground cinnamon

Place the sour cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a
simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Turn down heat and allow to
barely simmer for 1 hour, uncovered, to reduce slightly. It must not
boil. Use a heat diffuser for this process.
Using a flour sifter or strainer, slowly add enough flour to
thicken the cream. I use about 11-12 Tbsp. for a very thick pudding.
Using a wire whisk, whip in the flour 1 Tbsp. at a time. The cream will
thicken and start to pull away from the sides of the pan. If the sour
cream is very rich, the butter will now begin to form and rise tot he top.
Remove this with a spoon and set it aside. Stir in enough hot milk to
obtain a porridge-like consistency. Add sugar and salt to taste. Serve
in bowls with melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon on top.
Serves 8-10

NORWEGIAN ROMMEGROT

1 qt. heavy cream
1 qt. rich milk
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
Cinnamon and sugar

Bring cream to a boil and cook slowly for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring almost
constantly. A wooden spoon is best to use. Sift flour in slowly and continue
stirring until butter forms on top. Skim it off and save to use later. Add
scalded milk; it may not take the entire amount of milk. If it gets too
thin, add a little more flour. Add sugar and salt. Serve warm in a bowl with
a little melted butter, cinnamon and sugar on top