[Sca-cooks] Protestants prohibited spices in England?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 19:44:16 PST 2006

Nope...if memory serves, other spices show up in Elizabethan recipes as
well...so I am not sure about this statement myself.  I don't have any
examples at hand at the moment...but recall a cauliflower recipe that used
nutmeg, pickled mushrooms that used mace and nutmeg, etc.  As you said, I
can see it with the Roundheads/Puritans, but not with Elizabeth I.

Kiri