[Sca-cooks] Protestants prohibited spices in England?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 29 20:58:43 PST 2006

--On Friday, December 29, 2006 10:44 PM -0500 Elaine Koogler
<kiridono at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nope...if memory serves, other spices show up in Elizabethan recipes as
> well...so I am not sure about this statement myself.  I don't have any
> examples at hand at the moment...but recall a cauliflower recipe that used
> nutmeg, pickled mushrooms that used mace and nutmeg, etc.  As you said, I
> can see it with the Roundheads/Puritans, but not with Elizabeth I.

Did a quick google search, but didn't find anything (well, found a journal
article that mentioned a prohibition of pepper imports into England in the
late 16th C, but this was because there had been a high number of pepper
prizes captured, and the crown was having a hard time converting their
pepper to money domestically...but that's not anything like the same thing).

toodles, margaret