[Sca-cooks] Mikie, was: Sad news from Atlantia

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 31 13:38:57 PST 2006

On Dec 31, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Wanda Pease wrote:

> This illustrates one of the sayings of the sayings of the SCA.
> "This is
> someone's 'Golden Age'" and "Your first King will be how you judge
> all other
> Kings."
>
> I happen to have warm, fuzzy feelings for Michael of Bedford
> because he was
> the first King I ever saw, and he gave me my very first award.
> Michael came
> over for Drachenwald 12th Night.  This was held before he stepped
> down as
> King of the East and up as King of Atlantia.  He stayed in our
> guest room
> for a week and helped with the preparations for food (he turned out
> to be
> the only one who knew how to butcher a deer), went castle hopping
> and was
> generally a fine figure of a King, and a good guest.  That's the
> impression
> I will probably always carry of him.  Evidently I was quite
> fortunate that I
> didn't have to live under him as King for long so he didn't have
> time to
> tarnish that first impression.

That was pretty much why I felt that this was probably not the place
to dissect the man's bad qualities, although I confess that my
experience has been fairly negative, too, but I'm certainly prepared
to admit that POV does not an empirical judgement make.

> Right now we have what I consider the best King and Queen pairs I
> have ever
> seen in the SCA.  It has been a joy to work with them and a joy to
> see their
> courts.  They can choose to be the Royally dignified, or the "This
> is FUN
> and Everyone else is going to have fun too!  The Queen looks the
> part, but
> has a wicked sense of humor which hurts no one but causes much
> amusement.

I'm sure their formative years in Østgardr are directly
attributable ;-)...

> They make up for all the ones you choose to stay quietly on your
> lands and
> wait until they go away,

Withdrawing from the court unless specifically summoned is a
perfectly legitimate period practice, and if I haven't been to an
event in months, it's because at the moment I pretty much have no
choice -- the fact that I can scarcely look at a head with a crown on
it without feeling a palpable wave of nausea is not the primary
issue. But at times, it has been.

> unless you are a Baron/ness or one of the Great
> Officers of State.
>
> Kiri, and Many other people have very different feelings about, and
> memories
> of Michael, for good reason.

Yes. This is why I've always sworn my fealty to the People and Laws
of the East, and beg the assistance of the Crown in upholding my
Oath. If you don't pay close attention, it sure _sounds_ like I'm
going to obey them... and sometimes I actually do.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04