[Sca-cooks] crab cakes/crab rounds

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 3 08:13:06 PST 2006

On 12/3/06 1:29 AM, "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Kiri commented:
> <<< Well, unfortunately, due to the cost, we won't be doing crab cakes.
> However, I am shipping 15 lbs. of crab meat from a local store on
> Thursday...we're going to make Crab Rounds, a lovely little recipe
> from one of my favorite cookbooks, "Virginia Hospitality." >>>
>
> What is the difference between crab cakes and crab rounds?

Crab cakes are a kind of croquette;  crab rounds in that book [Which Kiri
just gave me, sqEEE!!] seem to involve a crab/cheese mixture on top of
crackers or toasts.  At this point we are hoping to do both actually.

> I recently had a pair of frozen crab cakes which were much better
> than I remember them being. They didn't stick together as well as the
> past ones, but they seemed to have much larger chunks o crab. Maybe
> they didn't stick together as well because they had a smaller
> proportion of filler.

Apart from what Master A said:  Did you bake them or deep fry them?  You
might not have created an exterior that would hold.  I have a tendancy to
make Star Trek emergency noises and report Hull Breach on Deck C and then
eat the defective item myself.  <G>

> I still have several cans of crab meat. Would crab cakes be agood use
> for this?

Go for it!

Selene