[Sca-cooks] crab cakes/crab rounds

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 14:12:25 PST 2006

On 12/3/06, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> What is the difference between crab cakes and crab rounds?

Crab rounds are, according to the recipe, crab mixed with wine, cheese and
other seasonings and put on a round of a baguette which has been toasted,
then slid under the broiler long enough to melt the cheese and make it brown
and "boobly".  Crab cakes are mixed with egg, some kind of bread/cracker
crumbs, seasonings (usually include Old Bay seasoning), then broiled or
fried.

I recently had a pair of frozen crab cakes which were much better
> than I remember them being. They didn't stick together as well as the
> past ones, but they seemed to have much larger chunks o crab. Maybe
> they didn't stick together as well because they had a smaller
> proportion of filler.

That might be the reason...however, what holds the cakes together is the
presence of egg...so I'm not sure.  The bread/cracker crumbs help a bit, but
the smaller amount of filler, the more flavorful the cakes.

I still have several cans of crab meat. Would crab cakes be agood use
> for this?

Not bad...but understand that they're not going to be as good as if they
were made with fresh crab.  If you need a recipe, I can probably scare one
up...or you can look online.

Good luck!!

Kiri