[Sca-cooks] looking for maire's haggis recipe

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 12 07:37:56 PST 2006

Ysabeau wrote:
> Hmmm...what makes it for "wussies"? I'd love to see that recipe, too!
>
> On 12/12/06, Kathleen A Roberts <karobert at unm.edu> wrote:
>
>> i have been asked for the recipe for some haggis i made a
>> year and a half ago.  it was based on 'mither maire's
>> haggis for wussies' recipe.
>>
>> maire, if you could send me that again, i would appreciate
>> it.  never thought i would need it after making it that
>> one time.
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> cailte
>> still scratching her head...
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I take it, Maire's haggis recipe is made in a pot or a cloth pudding-bag
rather than in an actual sheep's paunch.  These can be very delicious
too if the cook remembers to toast the oats and add plenty of salt,
pepper and onions.  It's oat stuffing with lamb giblets, that does not
sound quite so scary does it?

I have a haggis-inspired sweet pudding recipe:  Sweet Haggis

Adapted from the Scottish Womens' Rural Association Cookery Book

A subtletie of sorts, really a steamed oat pudding with no nasty old
sheep-guts.

1/4 lb. beef suet
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups oatmeal [toast it first]
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup cold water
muslin bag to cook it in

Toast oatmeal at 400°F for 10 minutes. Skin and chop or grate suet
finely. Mix all ingredients together until soft consistancy. Wet muslin
bag and put mixture into it until more than half full [to allow for
expansion of oatmeal]. Sew or tie up tightly and put it on an old plate
inside a large pot of boiling water. Boil for 3 hours; then serve with
all due ceremony, perhaps accompanied with fake bagpipes and fake poetry.

I use half steel-cut and half rolled oats, the former for chewy
consistancy and the latter for binding power. The true vegetarian crowd
can use shortening in a pinch. I also like to add 1 tsp. mixed spice to
the mix.

Happy Hogmany,
Selene