[Sca-cooks] Looking for Recipes and Documentation

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Tue Dec 12 15:01:09 PST 2006

Yeast raised breads are fairly common in any culture that drinks ale.  The
yeast that ferments ale is the same yeast that is used for bread.  Yeast
breads with meat stuffings are a different matter.  The only one I can think
of off the top of my head is a Sicilian dish presumably adopted from the
Moors.

I think the lack of recipes may stem from the fact that bread was a price
and quality controlled food in most of Europe.  The standards often worked
against new and uncontrolled types of bread with feastday limitation being
put on the preparation of fancy and filled breads.

Another consideration is that breads in Medieval Europe were baked and used
or sold over several days.  Meat stuffed yeast bread is more perishable than
other bread or hard shelled pies.

Bear