[Sca-cooks] Ok Now I KNOW THIS but for the life can'tremember...

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 13 20:37:45 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
Turkey's are
> new world right?
> Sigh.  Thanks for whoever bops me on the head with this one.
>
> Nichola

Turkeys are being eaten fairly widely in the latter half of the 16th
Century.  They show up in Europe around 1527.  You might want to check the
Florilegium on the subject.

Bear  < < < <

It seems that we are in concurrance that turkeys from the New World were
eaten in late 15th century in several parts of Europe.  We can be pretty
certain, though, that the white turkey that we know and love from last
month's dinner is not the turkey that was eaten with Rumpolt's recipe.

Herein lies a potential quandry for me, mostly intellectual in nature.  Do I
propagate that modern turkeys are truly period foodstuffs?  They are not so
much the same creaturs as were taken to Europe lo those many years ago.

I personally see it as the most reasonable facsimile available to most
consumers today, even though they have been geneitcally and hormonally
altered to the point they cannot even copulate themselves . . . if my
information from History Netork is correct, they are all artificially
fertilized because the turkeys' mammoth breasts make natural reproduction
impossible.  The "if they had it, they would have used it" doesn't work for
me much.

Heck, enjoy the bird and tip a glass to our forebears.  They had some much
smaller birds, and had to cook more of them for a feast.  I suspect that
they enjoyed dark meat a lot more, too ;o)

niccolo difrancesco