[Sca-cooks] Ok Now I KNOW THIS but for the life can't remember...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 19:51:27 PST 2006

Turkeys are New World, but since they were similar to other large birds like
the guinea hen, they were assimilated into European menus much faster than
other things, like plants.

Here is a drawing of a turkey from 1581:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASsp99_turkeypix.htm

and here is the corresponding recipe, translated by Gwen Cat:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_fowl1.htm

Turkeys are mentioned in England in 1541, in sumptuary laws.  In France, Queen
Marguerite of Navarre is recorded to have raised them in Alencon in 1534.  In
1549, 66 turkeys were served at a feast for Catherine de Medici.  Turkeys were
also served in Liege, Belgium in 1557, using three different methods of preparation.

So, turkeys can be considered period.

Huette

--- rattkitten <rattkitten at hughes.net> wrote:

> Ok color me an idiot, but Turkey Is NOT Period.    Right?  Turkey's are
> new world right?
> Sigh.  Thanks for whoever bops me on the head with this one.
>
> Nichola
> Who really wishes they were period cause we got a free one just waiting
> to be used and we could use it at the wedding.....
>
> So the question is Period or not?

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/