[Sca-cooks] Turkeys ARE Period!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 15 04:45:47 PST 2006

> The quote means that "Turkeys are Period" in certain places in Europe and
> England by 1500=1540... That doesn't mean that it was period for prior to
> that time (not Italian quadrocento, not "Viking", not the Court of Richard
> II of England, not Anglo-Saxon.

1527 rather than 1500 with the first goodies from the newly conquered lands
in Mexico.

> Johann, isn't there also some reason to think that the Turkey came in
> through the trade routes from the middle East and thought of as native to
> India or Turkey?
>
> Regina, who still has that rosary you gave her so many years ago.  I keep
> it
> with my "special" jewelry (although it is not jewelry) because it is a
> good
> thing!

I'm not Johann, but I can answer that with an almost definitive "No."  While
several things are thought to have come into Europe from North America via
Asia, the connection is the Spanish trade between the Philippines and the
West Coast of Mexico and South America, the Manila galleons.  The Spanish
did not enter the Philippines until 1543 and the trade with Mexico didn't
start until 1564.  The entrance of the North American turkey into Europe
pre-dates both of these events.

Chili peppers, although Fuchs identifies them as being from India, appear in
his herbal of 1541, so they obviously came in the front door.  White
potatoes, however, appear at such a late date, that there is speculation
they came into Europe from Chile via the Manila trade.

Bear