[Sca-cooks] chestnut cream

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 15 07:52:18 PST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 9:39 AM, Stephanie Ross wrote:

> I found a can of chestnut cream imported from France in my local
> discount
> store for fifty cents, so I couldn't pass it up. From the
> description of
> the can, it appears to be almost a syrup.

Many French products are subject to strict "standards of identity":
chestnuts have to be chestnuts, chestnut paste must be a certain
percentage of chestnuts, and chestnut cream (if anything like the
same deal as for, say, truffles or anchovies) must be a certain,
presumably lower, percentage of chestnuts, if it is to be labelled
that way. Is the stuff actually a liquid? I'm assuming it's more of a
puree sweetened with sugar or a syrup, in which case it sounds pretty
much like Mont Blanc in a can. The standard presentation would be to
pile it attractively high on a platter and cover it with whipped
cream. You could probably also use it to fill little tartlets or
something like that.

> Is there anything medieval I can
> use this with/on/in? Are chestnuts new world?

If it really is a sweetened puree, that probably limits its medieval
applications; the medieval recipes I'm most familiar with for
chestnuts aren't for sweets. Chestnuts are period for Europe and
Asia, though, as far as I know.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782