[Sca-cooks] Turkeys ARE Period!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 15 21:33:06 PST 2006

There was quite a bit of confusion as to where things came from.  Fuchs
(1541) refers to chili peppers as Indische and Calcuttisha Pfeffer and maize
as Turkishe Korn (if I got the spellings correct).  That beats out Gerard by
half a century.

In the case of maize, it probably came into Europe on Columbus's first
voyage and was transferred to the Ottoman Empire via Northern Italy (read
Genoa or Venice).  The Turks were early adopters and European travellers who
encountered these new crops in Asia Minor may have been rightly confused
about their actual origin.  In the case of maize and chili peppers, it may
have been the Turks who introduced them to Central Europe.

There is also the consideration that tying foods to Turkey or India may have
initially been a marketing ploy.  Columbus found the New World in 1492.
Around 1501, Amerigo Vespucci floated the idea that South America was a
separate continent from Asia.  And in 1521, Magellan took off on the voyage
that would prove the Americas were not Asia.  So even if the original
thought was the East and West Indies were the same islands, it didn't last
long.

Bear