[Sca-cooks] barley meal

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 26 18:14:02 PST 2006

A week or two back I asked:

 > So what does the "Pearled" mean?
 >
 > Is the food processor just the wrong machine for grinding up this
 > barley? Or is there some way to do it other than simply dumping in
 > the barley (I've tried both large and small batches) and turning it
 > on?

And Femke answered:
<<< Pearled barley has most of the bran removed, as opposed to hulled
barley,
which has only the husk removed.

If you're a little patient, you'll probably have better luck with a
coffee
grinder. >>>

Thank you to those who answered my question. I ended up making the
Welsh Apple Cakes, the other recipe. I had some trouble with them
which I'll ask about in another message.

I have a coffee grinder which I bought for grinding spices.
Unfortunately, I didn't think of it at the time. Although since they
work on similar principles, I'm not sure it would have occurred to me
that one might work where the other wouldn't.

I saved the now dusty pearled barley and the quarter cup of barley
flour which I generated. Perhaps I should use my spice grinder and
turn the rest of the barley into flour and bake the barley bread. Or
does anyone have some other suggestions on using this pearled barley?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas