[Sca-cooks] Christmas Dinner

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Dec 28 08:03:32 PST 2006

Being that my father is in a nursing home and my brother and SIL were in
Texas visiting my SIL's family, we brought my Mom up to our house on  12/23.
Christmas Eve dinner was snow crab legs and tilapia stuffed with  imperial
filling (courtesy of our local Giant supermarket's fish counter),  steamed
asparagus, sweet potatos mashed with butter, salt and pepper, and  Christmas cookies.
Simple, but very good.

For breakfast on Christmas morning we had creamed dried beef over toast, a
family tradition.  After breakfast and the opening of the presents, we  drove
back to my mom's house and went to see Dad at the nursing home.   Since we knew
we wouldn't have a lot of cooking time (we didn't leave the  nursing home
until after 3:30), we had planned on roasting a pork loin.  We  seasoned it with
Lawry's Seasoned Salt and a little cinnamon and ate it with  steamed broccoli
and mashed potatos made from redskin potatos with the skins  left on, with the
pork gravy.  Desert was apple crumb pie, an unexpected  addition to the
Little Caesar's Pizza fundraising stuff they did at the school  where my husband
works - and very good, I might add.  It comes as a kit  with a frozen pie shell,
frozen sliced apples (granny smiths, I believe), the  sweetening mixture and
the crumb mixture.  You simply thaw the shell, mix  the fruit and sweetening
and heat it in the microwave for a few minutes, put it  in the pie shell, top
with the crumb mixture, and bake it for 30 minutes.   Amazingly good for a kit.

Brangwayna