[Sca-cooks] Grains of Paradise

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 16:18:57 PST 2006

Phil Troy wrote:
". . .a spoonful might be a larger measure than you know, possibly the
equivalent of three or four fluid ounces in volume."
No I think Howe was referring to a teaspoon or at most 200 milligrams of
unrefined or brown sugar was the measure for the intake of household
members, not servants in the 15th century on a monthly or whatever average.
Laura C. Minnick wrote:
    "a servant's allotment is not necessarily indicative of what was
available to the population at large in the 15th century."
    I have never seen "servants' allotments" for sugar, spices or other
luxury products in the 15th century. What was available to those who who
could not buy slaves was locally produced - not pepper.
Arianwen ferch Arthur wrote:
    ". . .talk about the Normans, the angevin, the bourbon kings. . ."
I suppose this is a reference to Roger II of Sicily beginning in 1130
following Arab occupation of the island and their influence on European
cookery thanks to King Roger which indeed is a fascinating subject.
BUT what is the question and in what century are we? I thought is was
that grains of paradise declined in exportation from Africa to Europe in
the 16th or 17th century and why? My inclination is that African wars
did not cause this but that American peppers stole the market. Can any
uphold my supposition?
Susan