[Sca-cooks] grains of Paradise

Arianwen ferch Arthur caer_mab at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 30 10:28:26 PST 2006

I've been intrigued by this thread and have another
possibility to throw out for consideration (no dates
though to give)  I have worked in Naples, and many of
the tours orf the area talk about the Normans, the
angevin, the bourbon kings, but on one tour down
through Calabria mention was made of how under the
Normans and their successors the land route up from
Calabria to Naples was very important and those kings
had looked to protecting the south and the route, but
after the (French? Angevin?) the looked to the North
and abandoned the southern region almost. (No access
to my history books and this is just memory of the
trip -- so no documentation)

Now this might have affected the trade in spices...

Arianwen ferch Arthur
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G. Marx