[Sca-cooks] 12th Night Gift Baskets

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 2 00:48:28 PST 2006

Renata suggested:

<<< I've made sugar plums (see the Floriligium for my article on how)
and
you'll need to start them soon to be ready in January. >>>

Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                        Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugarplums-art.html

<<< I've candied chesnuts and
other nuts using not-quite-authentic recipes. >>>

candied Chestnuts? Maybe the sugar penetrates further tan I would
expect. At first thought this sounds like it would be a lot of meally
taste surrounded by a sweet coating. Do you boil or bake the
chestnuts first before cooking on the sugar syrup? Do you peel the
chestnuts first? Something to try the next time I see some chestnuts
in the store.

<<< Lately tho I've been giving spices - either supplies of hard-to-find
ones or various spice mixtures. The Medieval Kitchen has recipes,
along with
(I think) Scully's Early French Cuisine. I've also made my own. >>>

Also in this file:
spice-mixes-msg   (90K)  9/17/06    Period spice mixtures. Poudre
Forte, Douce.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-mixes-msg.html

Stefan
--------