[Sca-cooks] Looking for Recipes and Documentation

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 12 12:08:49 PST 2006

Greetings!  I'm acting as the middleman between your tremendous combined
knowledge and one of the cooks in our barony.  I was given this message:

"... looking for any period documentation, preferably for German or French,
of meat-stuffed bread. We've found reasonable documentation for stuffed
cakes using a hot water crust (German, Sabina Welser) and baked or an
egg/flour paste (English, Curye on Inglysch) either fried or baked in a
couple of different formats. But the original idea was a yeast-raised bread
stuffed with meat and of that, I've found no hint. So that's what we'd want
to ask about.

"She's also looking at doing a bean soup, but I think the 'Green Fava beans
in Meat Broth' from Mastro Martino's is a reasonably close match for what
she's trying to create, so that should be sufficient. I couldn't find
anything that was a close German match, but we did find a French pea or
bean soup that could work out of Goodman in Paris."

My first thought was that yeast-raised bread with meat stuffing didn't
really exist in our time period, did it?  Yeast-raised breads were pretty
much post-period, weren't they?  Any help with period recipes for the above
would be appreciated.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com