[Sca-cooks] Turkeys ARE Period!

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 06:41:54 PST 2006

I'm sorry, but the poultrier has to weigh in here...The Spanish introduced the Mayan Turkey(different species than NA wild turkey) into Europe by 1500. The birds were being raised and sold in markets in ENGLAND by 1540 because HenryVIII put a price limit on how much one could charge.  By the time the Pilgrims left for NA they had already seen turkeys in the markets to England and the Netherlands. The Dutch were already breeding WHITE turkeys by 1670...
  The Spanish Blacks were introduced to England and there developed into the Norfolk Blacks, these are now two of the oldest and rarest breeds of turkeys left...the ancestral Mayan bird is in decline as well.

  Now, I have to say the word 'turkey' can be mis leading and we need to know that Guineas have been called 'turkeys' for a long time before the NA bird..which is why the NA bird was first called the INDIAN turkey...until of course we realized that we weren't in India...

  sorry, ramblings of a poultry laurel....
  Johann von Metten
  aren't ya glad ya didn't get me going on chickens and eggs!! lol!!

  Message: 3