[Sca-cooks] Yule Celebrations

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 21:23:30 PST 2006

Cailte asks:
<<< say, how far back does the image of santa claus or saint
nicholas go... as we might see it or in period.

we have had several kings and queens at our midwinters
dress in red with white fut trim.  sometimes i am reminded
of the finale of 'white christmas' when i see them, but is
there something historical to tweak the collective modern
consciousness?  >>>

And the Great Oz responds... er, okay wrong movie. Wrong Script!

See this file in the NICOLAA'S ARTICLES section of the Florilegium:
St-Nicholas-art   (11K)  7/18/94    Article on the St. Nicholas
traditions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NICOLAA/St-Nicholas-art.html

Since you've awakened the sleeping clown, here are some more files on
Christmas and Yule traditions:
Christmas-art      (9K)  7/28/94    Medieval Christmas.
Xmas-art           (9K)  1/15/97    "The True Meaning of Xmas".
Holiday-Celeb-lnks (13K) 12/23/04   Links to medieval holiday
celebrations
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
holiday-gifts-lnks (16K) 11/11/04    Links to medieval holiday gifts
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Yule-msg          (26K)  6/27/05    Yule celebrations.
T-H-Dreidel-art   (12K) 12/26/00    "The Hannukah Dreidel" by Lady
Meliora
                                        Leuedai de Ardescote.

Stefan
--------