[Sca-cooks] clay pie dishes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 14 21:54:54 PST 2006

Etain mentioned:
I also do a lot of  firepit
cooking in pottery, and there was a vendor selling some VERY nice
pots  for
such use! (I got a pie dish...it worked great yesterday at our Cook's
Guild meeting)
<<<

So, is this shaped like a modern pie pan, but made out clay? Or is it
more like a clay skillet with a handle and some legs?  Does it have a
top, like a Dutch oven?

When I think of a "pie", I think of something baked, especially
between two layers of crust.

Is this pie dish actually meant to be put in an oven? Or over a low
fire to you end up getting an effect close to baking? The clay
absorbing and then reradiating the heat? Still doesn't sound like the
center would "bake", though.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas