[Sca-cooks] clay pie dishes

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Wed Feb 15 04:51:06 PST 2006

In a message dated 2/15/2006 12:55:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

So,  is this shaped like a modern pie pan, but made out clay? Or is it
more like a clay skillet with a handle and some legs?  Does it have  a
top, like a Dutch oven?

This is essentially an open straight sided "dish".  It's about 8"  around and
5" deep.  It is made to be used in a conventional oven (on a  clay slab if
you have one), or in a dutch oven in a firepit.  The potter  said that I could
put it directly on the bottom of the dutch oven without  elevating it as I do a
metal pan.  I used it in a conventional oven and it  baked a pie without a
top crust very nicely.  I can't wait until the  weather gets nicer and I can
test it in the firepit!  I'm also hoping to  bake bread in it.

Etain