[Sca-cooks] Re: Depths of Knowledge

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 19:32:10 PST 2006

--- SilverR0se at aol.com wrote:

> I agree with the depth of knowledge on this list but now must test the depths
> of memory (or compulsive saving) of the good folk of this list.
>
> About 6 years ago I regretfully had to leave this list for Real Life - some
> of you might remember me under the screen name THLRenata. As Real Life is now
> in retreat (I hope) I am back and I need your help.
>
> Someone once posted a recipe for Corned Pork. I save it at the time but that
> was a new computer ago and it did not get transferred.
>
> Does anyone have this recipe and if so, can you post it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Renata

I don't know if any of these are the same, but here they are:

Corned Pork

Serves: 16 Servings

Ingredients:
8 lb Pork - shoulder or loin
1 1/3 c Kosher salt
3 tb Salt
1 ts Sage
2 ts Thyme
1 ts Paprika
2 ts Allspice
4 Bay leaves
1 tb Juniper berries; crushed

Instructions:
Combine the spices and rub into meat. Place the meat in a heavy zip-lock bag,
squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Place the bag in the
refrigerator, turn and massage daily for at least two weeks. Before cooking
the meat, soak in water for at 24 hours to remove the salt. To cook, place the
meat in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, skim, and then add
carrots, onions, celery and garlic as desired. Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or
until tender.

German Corned Pork

Serves: 4 Servings

Ingredients:
2 lbs 3 oz Pork
2 Onions, finely chopped
10 Juniper berries, crushed
1 large OR 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
Brine:
4 1/4 cups Water
2 tbsp (approx.) salt
as much saltpeter as fits on the tip of a knife (optional)

Rub the meat with the chopped onion, garlic and juniper berries, then push
meat into a tight-fitting container and pour the cold brine (that has
previously been brought to a boil and then let cool again), with or without
saltpeter, over the meat. Press down with a board and weight it with a
rock. The meat has to remain in the brine for three weeks, during which
time it must be turned frequently. At the end of the three weeks, remove
the meat from the crock, briefly rinse it off. Roast at 390 degrees F in
hot lard, along with the chopped onion, garlic and yellow turnip, until
crispy, about 1 1/2 hours.

Serves 4.

TO BOIL CORNED PORK

Take a nice piece of fresh pork, (the leg is the best,) rub it with salt, and
let it lie in the salt two days. Boil it slowly in plenty of water, skimming
it well. When the meat is about half done, you may put into the same pot a
fine cabbage, washed clean and quartered. The pork and the cabbage should be
thoroughly done, and tender throughout. Send them to table in separate dishes,
having drained and squeezed all the water out of the cabbage. Take off the
skin of the pork, and touch the outside at intervals with spots of cayenne
pepper. Eat mustard with it.

Pork is never boiled unless corned or salted.

These are all modern recipes.

Huette