[Sca-cooks] Re: Depths of Knowledge

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 3 11:37:03 PST 2006

>Renata Wrote!
>
>Someone once posted a recipe for Corned Pork. I save it at the time but that
>was a new computer ago and it did not get transferred.
>
>Does anyone have this recipe and if so, can you post it?

My dear Renata, good to see you here!

This is not named "Corned Pork" as such but it might fill the bill.
 Posted about 5 years ago, found in the Florilgium:

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pork-msg.html

Selene C.

Forwarded material follows:

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:10:29 -0500
From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler at chesapeake.net>
Subject: Re: SC - Brawn Question

To Sowce a Pigge (known as Pickled Pork or Brawn)..from Dining with William
Shakespeare.

The original is from Dawson's "the Good Huswifes Jewel":
"Take white Wine and a little sweet broth, and halfe a score nutmegs cut
into
quarters, then take Rosemarie, Baies, Time, and sweet margerum, and let them
boyle altogether, skum them very cleane and when they be boyled, put
them in an
earthen pan, and the syrop also, and when yee serve them, a quarter of a
pig in
a dish, and the Bays and nutmegs on top."

1.5 lb. boned loin of pork
1/3 yard cheesecloth
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups dry white wine
3 bay leaves
1 nutmeg, broken up
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1 1/2 tsps. salt

Remove all but a think covering of fat from the pork. Roll the meat up
tightly
in the cheesecloth and tie it as you would a roast, then make a knot in the
cheesecloth at each end.

Put the broth, one cup of wine and the seasonings into a 2-quart
saucepan with a
tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Add the pork roll, lower the heat
to a
simmer, and cook, covered, until a fork will easily penetrate the
meat--2 - 2
1/2 hours. Remove the meat from the cooking broth and put it into a glass or
stainless-steel bowl. Pour the second cup of wine over it, add the herbs
from
the cooking broth, and as much of the broth as is needed to completely
cover the
roll. Cover the bowl, let cool, then refrigerate.

Marinate for at least a week, turning it once a day. To serve, remove the
cheesecloth covering, and slice the meat about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange the
slices on a shallow serving dish and spoon a litle of the sousing liquid
over
them with some of the spices. Serve with a sauce of prepared mustard, to
which
a little vinegar has been added (I used a german mustard and white wine
vinegar...yummy!!!).

Kiri